Recently I purchased a ticket that would take me around the world for 120,000 Dividend Miles and $300. My trip starts and ends in Mexico City but takes me to Miami, San Paulo, Paris, Kuala Lumpur, and Los Angeles before taking me back to Mexico. The trip was booked in a mixture of first, business, and economy class, with all long haul segments in First, except for GRU-CDG (business instead), KUL-HKG (Business) and LAX-DFW-MEX (economy—which I probably won’t fly). Although this ticket cost me 120,000 miles and $300 I wanted to see what it would be if I actually priced it out, airline by airline.
I initially started to use ITA to price things out, but ITA priced things at rates 10-100x higher than I knew the airlines were pricing the same tickets. For example, ITA said MEX-MIA in business/First was $6000, yet AA.com priced MEX-MIA as only $606! So I decided to use each airline site that I was flying to price out the segments, the same way they are divided/listed on my US airways account.
Mex-Mia-GRU in AA/TAM First via aa.com $4408
GRU-CDG in TAM Business via Tam.com.br $3630
CDG-KUL in Malaysia First via malaysiaairlines.com 4674€ or $5900
KUL-HKG-LAX in Cathay Pacific regional Business to Long-haul First: 52,620 MYR or $16,032
LAX-DFW-MEX in AA Economy $221
Grand Total: $30,191
$30,000 for a round the world ticket in premium cabin doesn’t seem to be too ridiculous however 120,000 US Airways miles + $300 doesn’t seem like a bad deal at all! Aferall I could NEVER afford a $30,000 ticket, but I can easily drop $300 to travel the world far and wide and experience Brazil for the first time!
Remember, US Airways is offering a 100% buy mile promotion until October 12, so if you want to book a ticket like this, take advantage of this promotion before it’s too late!
More from this trip
- Around the world in First for 120,000 miles
- How much did my 120,000 mile + $300 ticket really cost?
- Courtyard Airport Hotel – Mexico City
- American Express Centurion lounge Mexico D.F. terminal 1
- American Airlines Admirals Club Mexico D.F.
- American Airlines Premium Lounge Miami
- Saloon VIP Terminal J Miami
- Tam Farewell to First Class B777 Miami (MIA) to Sao Paulo (GRU)
- 15 hours in Sao Paulo 15 Hours In Sao Paulo – Graffiti, History, Laughter, and Caipirinhas
- LAN TAM VIP Lounge Sao Paulo Terminal 3 (GRU)
- TAM “Business” Class B777 Sao Paulo (GRU) to Paris (CDG)
- Marriott Champs-Elysees Paris
- Malaysia Airlines “First class” lounge Paris – ICARE Lounge
- Malaysia Airlines First Class A380 Paris (CDG) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL)
- Malaysia Airlines Golden Lounge Kuala Lumpur (KUL) – First Class lounge
- Malaysia Airlines Kuala Lumpur Regional Golden Lounge Review
- Cathay Pacific First and Business Class lounge Kuala Lumpur (KUL).
- Cathay Pacific Regional Business Class A330 Kuala Lumpur (KUL) to Hong Kong (HKG)
- Cathay Pacific First Class Lounge Hong Kong (HKG)– The Wing
- Cathay Pacific First Class B777 Hong Kong (HKG) to Los Angeles (LAX)